Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Schlotzsky's Sandwiches

Last week I found this recipe for Schlotzsky's style of bread:

My first try the same day yielded two beautiful round sandwich loaves which were a bit larger than than hubby and I wanted for 2 sandwiches (even after splitting them up)...


My second try was to divide the dough into 5 smallish loaf pans... I got my loaf pans at a second hand store years ago and they are approx 7" x 2.5"... Larger than a standard small loaf pan, but smaller than a medium bread pan (for a 1 lb loaf)... I normally use them to make my banana bread in because I like that size so well... And now I have a second use for my pans, because they make these sandwich loaves kind of a large sub-size... They look bigger in this picture than they are... You slice them horizontally and stack on the sandwich goodies... mmmmmmmm

I also used half wheat flour in the second batch... Very yummy flavor... If you like Schlotzsky's Deli bread or just want to make your own healthy sandwiches AND save money to boot, try this recipe... it's really easy and tastes close enough for me to the real Deli deal.

Added Jan 15: You can also use either a silicone baking sheet, or parchment paper and make small round loaves.

No comments: